Monday, April 30, 2012

Sketch of the Day: Prospero

A study after the painting 'Prospero' (Bertram Forsyth as Prospero) by Sir E. Wyly Grier, oil on canvas 1924. Sketch done at Art Gallery of Windsor. The painting is part of the permanent collection of the AGW, and often on display in the Canadian gallery. A very interesting painting in loose, dramatic handling, and lit from the back. I would post a photo of the painting for the sake of comparison but googling the artist and the subject both bring back this sketch and my other drawings instead!

By far the best thing about sketching at the gallery, aside from how relaxing it is, is how you can strike up conversations with other visitors. A family from Montreal took an interest in me and we chatted for quite some time about my work and the painting. My only regret is that I didn't bring a cushion with me to sit on while I worked!

Looks a bit Jack Sparrow, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment