Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sketch of the Day: Classic Light


Good models are so hard to find. I sometimes end up using the same reference for different studies. I simply don't have the resources to take my own reference pictures. The light in this reference was too lovely to pass up. I am really enjoying how the two types of coloured pencils complement each other: the soft core Prismacolor, and Verithins. A friend of mine commented that I was 'painting with pencils.' I think there's a lot to be said for that analogy. I think of the soft cores almost in the same way that I do the larger brushes I use for portraits to mass in shapes before moving to the smaller brushes to refine details.I'm not sure if I like working with the Moleskine paper. It has a cream colour, and an almost manila file folder quality to it.

2 comments:

  1. You've given us a portrait of such quiet beauty it's difficult to stop looking at it. Luminous and utterly engaging. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Penny-Anne, and for your email and great advice. I took a few days off to recharge my batteries. :)

    ReplyDelete