Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sketch(es) of the Day: Cambiasi Exercises

Today was another one of those experimental art adventures. This time I cracked open my Moleskine and made some messes. I discovered the sketches of Renaissance painter Luca Cambiasi. They intrigue me; I was trained in a modern drawing style which emphasises gesture and mark-making. My natural inclination is to realism, and here I find the two in harmony, which is something I continually strive for: expression and precision of each mark I make. And these are meant to help the artist solve visual problems. I'm hoping to use this technique to improve reference material.

I tried using the kuretake waterbrush I have inked up with a grey wash but it was very dry on the Moleskine paper, so I switched to the Aquash waterbrush. I stroked the tip of a charcoal grey Derwent inktense pencil to produce the ink tones. Also, the Noodler's black ink reacted with the water since I did not give it time to set in. This wasn't a great way to be accurate but I still got plenty of visual information down.
Pieta sketch by Luca Cambiasi

2 comments: