Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sketch(es) of the Day: Play Days


The soft cores of professional coloured pencils are infamous for breaking off while you're sharpening. I bought a black raspberry pencil, and managed to snap off three points before setting it to paper. Solution: use a clutch pencil to hold the broken tips. New problem: the tips are uneven. So, rather than a nice even point, I drew these with a chunk of broken coloured pencil lead. The subjects vary. There's life-drawing, and studies of Jane Morris, model for the Pre-Raphaelite painter, Dante Gabriel Rossetti (from photographs).


She's in this one as well. I drew it with a bamboo barbecue skewer dipped in india ink. I can't wait to give it another try on a large piece of paper! It brought back memories of studying drawing with Dr.Law at the University of Windsor. I wasn't technically in the art program, and couldn't get back in once I had left the BFA program to focus on literature (there is no portfolio to get into the school of visual art. It's more or less first-come-first-served, with preference for new students out of high school; no room for veteran grads limping along in their mid twenties!).

Honestly, I really need a larger sketchbook...

No comments:

Post a Comment